Here goes...Christmas Eve is always spent at Grandpa's house. This year aunt Barbara, uncle Jim and Jimmy came up from Florida to visit.
***TANGENT***The night before Christmas Eve (I think) we were all at my parents house and we ended up playing a dice game called Farkle. If you find it on the shelves, you might not be too impressed, and I don't think it thrilled poor aunt Barbara who couldn't score to save her life, but it's a pretty fun game. If you can believe it, we even got grandpa to play. You tell your grandpa that you have never played a game with him and he tends to get a little soft. I'll bet none of you Rebers knew that your papa had hot hands for throwing dice. At the set out of the game, he was having unbelievable beginner's luck. He even started snapping his fingers and pointing at the dice and then calling his numbers. It was fun and funny! Thank you again, grandpa.
Back to grandpa's house. I am not sure how I missed it, but I didn't get a picture of grandpa at his post on the piano bench, but rest assured that he was there handing out presents in true grandpa fashion. "To the gift giver!!!"
Titus isn't sure whether he is to be scared or bold enough to march right into the living room to see what all the commotion was, which he about did.
On Christmas morning we got up, got ready to go to Tim's parent's house for the day and then sat under our one-presented tree to see what we got. The boys were shocked and quite thrilled to see a Wii under the wrapping paper. I wonder where my camera was for all that? Oops.
We got to grandma and grandpa's house for a wonderful brunch cooked up by Shelley and assisted by Phil. Regardless of what Shelley might say or think, it was delicious and great of her to do it all for us. Thank you!
When present time came, the kids all planted themselves one of the couches while I managed the cameras from the other end of the living room.
Micah thinks she is so big now that she can climb into this chair all by herself. Now, can she get down? I think she is asking grandpa for help.
Nadia Renee's first Christmas. I can't speak for everyone, but I am thrilled to have her in our family and am glad that we get to see them a bit more regularly for a while before they head out to Indonesia. She is learning to sit up by herself and I got a kick out of the head-to-head she had with this dog of hers, so I started snapping pictures.
Her dress was so cute. After the second kid, I don't think I remembered to get "First Christmas" outfits. Certainly nothing cute like this doll is wearing!
Friday night we all spent the night at mom and dad's so we could have our Christmas breakfast nice and early to get a start on opening the mound of gifts under the tree downstairs. This was the best shot of the kids we could muster. Levi and Eden had me cracking up with their sibling pose.
Elijah was all about anything Chicago Bears. He was thrilled to get this football because besides it being the right colors, it was just his size so he could actually hold it and throw it right.
Levi was all about his buddy Toby, or as Titus calls him, "Toby tobe." Levi wants a dog so badly, but mommy's not ready for another kid right now, let alone one that poops and pees on the floor. Do they think functions like that take care of themselves??? I don't think so.
Eden got a Madame Alexander doll (much like the American Girl Dolls) and she named her Rebekah. You wouldn't tell it to look at her, but she is our girly girl princess. So NOT me in that respect.
Titus was just about tearing stuff up. Everything. Everywhere. Tear, tear, tear. At least this time he is tearing open his own present. His "bestest" toy was his planet hero figures. He loves them!
Micah was oblivious to what was going on, naturally. She did manage to find Eden's necklaces and bracelets and rings and put them on herself so elegantly. She was a natural. Uh-oh, 2 princesses in the house? Can we handle that?
That night we played games and ended up staying the night because I didn't want to load everyone up in the cold to go home, plus I was tired. The next morning we got out the door fairly quickly (the kids insisted on eating breakfast...what's up with that?!?) and found that all surfaces in NW Indiana were covered in at least 1/4" of ice, if not more. It took us almost 1 hour and 20 minutes to go what normally takes around 20 minutes to drive. It was insane how often we ourselves almost crashed into other cars. The highways were closed and we were plain nuts for being out in that weather, but we needed to get home.
***
Mema's house is where we went Friday night.
Mema's house is where we went Friday night.
After yesterday's freeze, you can imagine what our weather was like today. Or can you?
It was a high of 67, I think, so these crazy guys took advantage and played outside. Aren't they hot? No, literally!
The boys thought this was so fun, and yes, that's dad on a lawn chair.
Even the dogs got out on the ice for a little romp. All the girls were too chicken.
That evening the worst wind storm passed through bringing on old man winter again. There was a wind advisory and you'd have though the house was not going to make it, it was so bad. When we got home, this is what we found.
I couldn't believe it. I think we managed to salvage most of it, but that could have done some damage to people's property and boy are we lucky it didn't!!!
I don't know about you but I think that's about all the crazy weather I can handle for one holiday, but there's more to come, I'm sure! Stay tuned.
It was a high of 67, I think, so these crazy guys took advantage and played outside. Aren't they hot? No, literally!
The boys thought this was so fun, and yes, that's dad on a lawn chair.
Even the dogs got out on the ice for a little romp. All the girls were too chicken.
That evening the worst wind storm passed through bringing on old man winter again. There was a wind advisory and you'd have though the house was not going to make it, it was so bad. When we got home, this is what we found.
I couldn't believe it. I think we managed to salvage most of it, but that could have done some damage to people's property and boy are we lucky it didn't!!!
I don't know about you but I think that's about all the crazy weather I can handle for one holiday, but there's more to come, I'm sure! Stay tuned.
7 comments:
So many things to comment on in this post!
1. I am so glad that you all have learned how to play Farkle! We have been farkle-ing for about 5 1/2 years now! We love it!
2.Nice pictures at grandpa's house! I miss those times! I was just telling Nathan about the most fun "to the gift-giver" Christmas ever! It is nice of you to mention it!
3.SUPER cute pics of your kids! I can't believe how quickly they are growing up!
4. Thanks for such a lengthy post! It is so great to see what is going on up there. Even the bad weather! I am glad your trampoline didn't do more damage! Sorry to hear that you will be at the farm this weekend. We are having the 'heavner' Christmas this weekend as well. As everyone gets older it gets more and more difficult to get everyone together at the same time! But it would have been nice to see you all while we were in town. Next time perhaps! Glad to see that everyone seems to be doing well! :)
Merry Christmast to you all. We love "to the gift-giver"! I can't believe that everyone still gathers in the back room to wait for Santa. I remember doing that as a little girl and hearing those sleigh bells jingle and being to excited. I'm sure it's fun still. It was also nice to see Joanna and Suzanna's boyfriends. But where's the picture of the "newlyweds"? Tell JP congratulations for me. I'm glad you all had a good week. Ours was good too but now it's getting close to the next best time of the year...the end of Christmas break!!!
Well here it is New Year's Day evening, and Danny and I are in a hotel in New Jersey....right across the river from NYC. We drove up here today to spend a couple days just by ourselves. Our Christmas with everyone home was wonderful, but it's always special to get away a little by ourselves, too. But anyway, this is the first time I've had to sit down and read your blog/s, and I'm enjoying them so much. Your Christmas synopsis and the pictures are so good. It's been such a long time since our family has been there for Christmas....and I don't guess we'll all ever get up there again. Too bad times have to change. I loved reading about everyone and seeing the pictures. Thanks for finding the time to do all this. I know how busy you are, but we all love the blogs. Happy New Year to all of you. Maybe we'll see you all again soon.
Wait a minute...Joanna and Suzanna had boyfriends at the house?! I can't believe they are old enough, I still picture them as little 7 and 8 year olds!:)
I loved your recap and all the cute pictures. Your Christmas looked exhausting but fun. I loved the pic of your kids in front of the tree and Eden and Levi hugging. Cute!
Shelly I loved seeing your post this morning. After almost 2 weeks, I am getting caught up in the blog world.
It is so nice to see pictures of our family. I too have good memories of Christmas at Grandma and Papa's house.
Thamks for posting these Shelly. It was so good to see.
Also, Little Nadia is a cutie pie!
I'm just now getting caught up on these posts too and agree with everyone that it's so good to see the pictures and hear how your Christmas went. You're kids are adorable Shelly and I loved seeing the pics of Joanna and Suzanna's boyfriends. WOW! They are cuties too.
I'm so happy for JP too! Tell him congrats! Happy New Year!
Post a Comment