Monday, July 7, 2008

What was I thinking???

Before I go and catch up on our little vacation post, I will take care of today's event...holy cow!!! You know, we are all so tired from vacation (is that even supposed to happen???) that I must not have been thinking clearly or something because I was full of bad ideas and making bad choices all day today. I sent the kids outside all morning and even though I should have been cleaning up from the trip, getting laundry done and cleaning up from breakfast and all, I was outside with them. The people who had our trampoline while we were building our house gave us a swing set when we picked up the trampoline, so this morning, I got the trampoline and enclosure put together and jumped with the kids for a bit and then looked to see what the swing set was going to need to get put together. I even got the patio set out of the garage, got the umbrella set in it and we enjoyed lunch outside for the first time. On a side note, in putting the umbrella in the table, I broke the plastic circle that protects the hole in the table where the umbrella goes and had to remember to get a new one sometime. For some reason, I thought that after lunch we might go to Menards (already past 1pm...way into nap time) to get the parts for the swing set so I could have the set put together before Tim got home tonight as a surprise for him...one less thing for him to have to do. There was absolutely no good reason to drag all the kids to Menards, but for some reason, I did. I didn't find anything for the swing set, but I did find that piece for the patio table. 2 hours later we get home and no one wants to take a nap (who can blame them) so like a dummy I let them stay up, crying, whining, fighting and complaining. That'll do numbers on a mom's patience, let me tell you. Well, needless to say, I am irritable because of lack of sleep and crazy, tired kids, I am sweaty and sticky from working outside the whole morning and now I want to put the replacement ring on the table. I pick up and remove the umbrella, put on the new ring thingy and put the umbrella back into the table, but I missed the hole under the table to get the pole into the base, and you know what happened??? The top heavy umbrella decided to take a dive.
No more lunches outside, or dinners, for that matter. We love to eat outside in the summer...I just sat down and in my frustration, but more importantly in the knowledge that I can't just go out and buy another table, I cried. Now I have a bazillion tiny pieces of glass all over the ground where the kids are supposed to play. So how do you clean that up???With a shopvac, of course!!! We had to take the filter off first, just in case the glass would tear it all up, so we blew dirt all over the yard as we sucked up the glass, but it's clean now. The topsoil is gone in many spots, as is the grass seed, but as far as I could tell, there is no glass. Holy smokes, what a day. Next time, the kids get naps. For sure! None of this would have happened if I would just have put them all down...argh! What was I thinking?

1 comment:

Dolly said...

Oh Shelly! what a mess but you handled it like a pro. Getting pictures of things like that is always good therapy!