Thursday, August 12, 2010

Happy Birthday!!!

Today is a very special day in our family and I wanted to mark that occasion by shouting a "Happy Birthday" to my brother, John Paul.  He is an old man of 34.  Yes, family, you heard right.  JP is 34 years old today.

Now, more importantly (sorry JP), it is our Micah's birthday.  This precious 2 year old went to bed last night and woke up a fabulous 3 year old.
 I didn't get to wake her up myself due to the crazy sleeping arrangements we have here, but I did get to sing to her and so I officially have to say, "Happy birthday, Micah Joy Joy (as I so lovingly call her).  We all love you so very much."

A little over 3 years ago, I was flailing in my decision of whether I wanted more kids or not.  Tim, I must say, was done at 2 kids, but by done I mean that he only wanted 2 kids but as each additional one "accidentally" came along he found he had a new "favorite."  I always wanted 5 or 6 kids and here we were with 4 beautiful children and I wasn't so sure I wanted another one, so for the time being, we were going to be done. That lasted a whole month when I found out I was pregnant again.  Tim sure is potent for a guy wanting only 2 kids.  ;-)  That's my man!

At any rate, 9 months later we have another beautiful baby to add to the mix.  Here's a quick story many of  you don't know.  We still didn't have a name for her even after she was born because we just couldn't agree on anything.  I wanted Avery or Micah and Tim, as in all pregnancies, wanted Chloe.  We tried to start over and scratch both those names.  We had (trying to stick with the Bible names which, oddly enough I never wanted to do but ended up LOVING the names) Lydia and Phoebe and some other Bible names that I can't remember right now, and then for kicks I threw in Eleanor and Evelyn to complete our pattern of every other kid starting with "E".  I wish I would have done that, by the way.  I am such a symmetrical person that it almost bugs me now...at any rate, I finally said forget it and wrote down Chloe on one piece of paper and Micah on another.  Resigning myself to the fact that she could be called Chloe, I folded the papers up and called my nurse into the room.  I put one paper in each of my hands and said "Pick one".  She did and that's how Micah became Micah.  Yes, I did write Chloe on the other paper.  No, I didn't lift the "Micah" hand any higher or shake it at all to gain a favorable (to me) outcome.  ;-)

3 years later I sit here and say that though I'm still not so sure I want to be done, even after Micah, I am so glad that our "unplanned" baby girl came into the world as God had planned out long ago.  Micah has, in the past months, really come alive and into her own personality.  She is such a spitfire.  I suspect that word just may sum her up, but I'll add more anyway.  She has been a little comedienne since she could crawl, which I never knew was possible, and she is so tenderhearted and compassionate and impish and sassy (usually in a good way, if that's possible) and goofy and at times, as the "baby" of five, she's a bit bossy.  She's always been very talkative and at that, very wordy, and she's girly and tomboyish all at the same time, and boy if she just isn't the culmination of me at various stages in my life, only better.  I anticipate every year with her as I am even now seeing her features mature and her personality take off.  Thank you, God, for placing her in our care. 

Now for a few pictures.  I know only a mother can see the difference in pictures, but here are some of her personalities, the most impish of them not captured...oh well.
I'm so cute and I'm not going to sit still for a picture.  Nanny nanny boo boo.
Let's see, will she get mad if I don't sit still for a picture?
 Maybe, just maybe, if I sit still for a picture, I can go play with the other kids.  I'm thinking on it.
Fine, here is your bloomin' picture.  Take it quick.  The smile won't hold.

For the record, this will be the infamous yearbook photo smile.  Ugh.  At least she isn't showing only her front two teeth like she usually does in forced smiles.  Bucky.

Happy Birthday, honey.

3 comments:

grace said...

Aw, happy birthday, (to both of them, but mostly Micah, since I'm grumpy that I'm older than both JP and Troy...)

Are you subtly trying to tell us there's another on the way???

(Chloe and Phoebe are both names on my list, but my sister just named her dog Chloe, and one of my friends just took Phoebe, so they're probably off the table.)

timandmichelle (timandshelly) said...

Holy smokes, no. Just posting about how Micah was unexpected. Haha!

Denise said...

Happy belated birthday to your baby girl! I cannot believe she is 3!

Love the story of her name. (Why are names SO hard?)

Okay, please have another for me/us. I/we would in a heart beat if I could!