Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Flood Aftermath

I know this is late, but I have been busy.  Here are the pictures from after the great flood.  I don't know that the pictures really show how crazy things were, but they do give a fairly good idea, if nothing else.  Phil and Shelley, I guess these are for you.  Can you imagine?
For those who don't know, this is the end of the lane and as you can see the road is now in the lane.  That ridge in the lane must have been at least a foot high.
It is endlessly amazing to me the power of water!  These are several inches deep and wide.
This is the view as you look to the left out of the lane.  This is the road that flooded out in 30 minutes time.
Granddad's mailbox made it just fine...but the road.  Holy smokes.
That is about 2 feet high.
Only on a farm do people congregate at the impassable road for hours on end.  It was a remarkable event that had just happened.
You can see that the river is still flooded, but at least not rushing the road away any longer.  The top of the grass there is a good 2-3 feet from where the water still is.  A LOT of road washed away.
This is the field to the left of the end of the lane.  It should be all green with deer tracks.  Now it's just about a parking lot.  I am guessing it will stay that way.  Too bad.
Still that field area.
Another shot of the road off to the left of the lane.
Across the street off to the right, but for some reason I didn't get the shot of the road leading the other way.  It was NOTHING like the one to the left.  I guess it just wasn't picture worthy.  Nothing really happened to the road that way.
The road is going to need a whole lot of gravel to fill the road back up to the top of the grass.  On the bright side, the lane has a nice wide entrance now.

No comments: