Sunday, March 8, 2009

Potty Trained at last...

Whenever the kids are potty trained, we go to the zoo, not matter the weather. This time it happened to be snow-free, but it was still rather chilly so we decided to go to the aquarium ("fish zoo"). There was one catch; it was President's Day (yes, I know that was weeks ago...so?). when we arrived at the aquarium an hour after it opened, there was a line outside that the security guards claimed was 1 1/2 hour wait. There was no way that we'd be able to wait with all 5 kids out in the cold for an hour and a half. We were very disappointed and didn't have a plan B so we drove to Moody to eat the lunch we packed while we figured out what plan B was to be. While we were at Moody, Levi found Tim's mullet wig. Pretty nice,huh?
Once we remembered how many exhibits were able to be viewed from inside, we decided to go to the zoo. Besides, Titus really wanted to see snakes and tigers, so that was the best choice after all.
One of the first things we saw was Mrs. Lion. Doesn't she look serious?
One of the first things we heard, however, was Mr. Lion and he meant business. Hearing his roar made me realize that the next time I have a chance to go on an African safari adventure, I won't go. At least not in one of those open jeeps where every bit of God's creation can come up and check you out openly. There's a reason this beast is called the king of the jungle (or the African plain). It was strangely eerie sounding.
I'm not sure why, but Titus stole a chance to be still while the other kids were actually running around and playing in some little play area in the ape house. Talk about strangely eerie.
Ok, this guy looks fairly sweet, right?
Right! Up until the point where he yawns and shows us what he's made of. Those teeth were HUGE!!!
I would have to say that besides the tigers, which were the last exhibit we saw, this was Tidy boy's favorite thing; the primate hands. It was cool and as you can see, and even with all we know of Titus, he would be no match for a gorilla.
The alligator had him standing still and staring for a bit. I wonder if he thought he could jump in "probally just for a sec," one of his new phrases.
This was the only time inside the zoo that these kiddos would even remotely be still for a photo opp. Turkeys! Sheesh, don't they know I have a job to do? They sure don't always make it easy.
The last thing we saw before leaving for home was the tiger pacing around outside. Tim had gone off to get the van and I had given him the camera, but that tiger was a bit kitty! There is this huge ravine thing between the animals and the outdoor habitat, but that cat was pacing right on the edge of the ravine back and forth, back and forth and the only thing I could imagine was that he was plotting his escape. He looked like he so badly wanted to run and jump out of his little prison and then it would be like the Jungle Book movie and we'd be cat bait. Yes, that's what I was thinking the whole time we watched the tiger. That and "boy I wish Tim would get here so we could quit watching this cat stalk us. I do believe all he sees are little steaks walking around and he looks hungry."
Micah dozed off the last few minutes so she didn't zonk out right away, but it was only a matter of minutes before everyone was slumped over in a sleepy stupor. It was a nice, quiet ride home.

Elijah didn't even complain when he became Levi's pillow. Now that's the mark of a truly nice ride home. I can't believe I have 4 kids out of diapers now. What a blessing that is and on the other hand, how sad. I can't believe it!

4 comments:

Denise said...

I'm clapping for you! One less set of diapers is GREAT! Now treat yourself to something nice each week with that extra $8-$10.

The zoo! One of my favorite memories as a child. You have such a sweet family Shelly! I am happy for you and Tim.

BTW, are you done??? I cannot remember if you said you were.

Donna said...

THat is a neat tradition to go to the zoon when the potty training is done! I'm laughing at that monkey pic (I think it was a monkey). Those teeth are huge and SCARY!!

I love the picture of everyone sleeping except the baby:) SO cute!

Dayna said...

I'm just getting caught up on reading all of these blogs. You have had another busy time.

I love the zoo pictures. My kids love all those animals too and would really enjoy this zoo I think. Maybe we will get to it one day.

Praise the Lord for quiet rides home. I love them!! Enjoy these simple times...I have to tell myself that frequently too!

BTW, love the picture of Papa playing the Wii. I bet he is really good at that game.

Janis Reber said...

What a nice day to remember. It's always so interesting just watching animals. You didn't get any snake pictures. As much as I hate snakes, strangely enough, I am drawn to them....only when they're safe from getting to me, or when they are in a picture. Are we all like that? Anyway, I guess all that fresh air made the children sleep so well on the way home. Nice day, nice post!!!