Friday, September 3, 2010

Another day, another accomplishment.

Today felt like a very long day, and now that I think back on what we did, I realize I forgot to take pictures of some of it.  I guess that will be for tomorrow.  So we finished up the framing in the boys' rooms.
I know it'll all be Greek to most of you, but this is from inside Elijah's room looking into the hallway that was created...sort of.  The upstairs furnace is in said hall area.
This is also in Elijah's room looking trough the wall and the closet into Levi and Titus' room.
This is in Levi and Titus' room looking back through the closet to Elijah's room.  Having fun on the little tour yet?  Just wait, it gets better.
This is back in Elijah's room (the entry door is just to the right up there) and the area to the left is an area just the size of his bed.  He is very excited to have his bed in a "hiding spot" and then, in that "hiding spot" is another opening to a secret room that is roughly 3 feet by maybe 5 feet.  It is the access area to the water cut offs for the hall bathroom, but it was wasted space, so now Elijah gets to use it.  It's great being the oldest, isn't it?
Dad and Tim are putting in can lights in the family room.  There was no overhead lighting, and since there are going to be beams in that room, there will be no ceiling fan (boo.  hiss.) so we had to put in can lights.  Just had to.  The kitchen will be getting some too, to replace to lovely fluorescent light that is currently there.  Our palace upstairs will also get can lights.  Everyone else will be left in the dark!
OK, so this was my personal project for the day since I didn't take pictures of the framing I did in the pantries in the kitchen.  I fixed our awesome fence.  I went out to the back yard armed with a sledge hammer, a drill, some screws and a regular hammer and one by one went to each panel, sledge-hammered the posts into the ground and screwed the slats back on so that now there are no holes for Kevin to get through.  He can roam the back yard with no fear of getting out.  Well, unless he makes a run for it...or gets too close to some of those sections.  All he has to do on some of them is sneeze and they will fall down.  That poor fence is rotten to the core.  Either that or carpenter ants have just had their way with the fence.  I wish I would have taken a "before" picture.
Because, believe it or not
this looks 100% better than it did
when I started it earlier today.
From this distance it almost looks like a real fence that is in need of a paint job.
Don't be fooled.  It's an absolute disaster waiting to happen.  For now, though, Kevin is free to roam.
While we slave outside with a rotten fence or inside attempting to can light a house, the kids play outside when they aren't watching TV in the girls' room, the only one with any flooring for them to hang around in.  We are doing great with renovations right now, and if you all think about it, pray that I can celebrate my birthday in our house.  It is the 26th of this month and that would just be the best birthday present!  Really.  It's possible, just not probable.  But still, pray anyways, will you?

That's all for now.  But don't worry, it will be continued.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Man, Shelly! I've been keeping up with all of your progress and let's just say that I am impressed! We bought our house in foreclosure 4 years ago and there were a lot of things we had to fix, but it wasn't anything like what you're going through! You and Tim are so good to get in there and do it! It will all be so nice when it's done and SO worth it! I hope you are in by the end of the month. It will be nice for you all to have a nice, new home to enjoy this Fall!