Friday, June 24, 2011

Titus can ride a two-wheeler

Since we don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood (Boo.  Hiss.) I didn't know when or if the 2 younger kids were going to learn to ride their bikes.  One weekend away at the farm, Titus decided he didn't want his training wheels on anymore, so I took them off and had absolutely no intention of ever putting them back on.  Once he got over the attitude of "I CAN'T!!!!!" he did really well and learned how to ride and did it all in less than 20 minutes.  Think about that timeline.  Let's just say it took him 10 minutes to learn to ride.  That left him 10 minutes to start trying, realize he "can't", mope, pout and throw the attitude around for a bit, me talk to him with the motherly "if...then..." statement and then come back down to reality.  I am sure it took him less time to do all that drama and more time to learn to ride the bike, but what does it matter now?  Once the attitude switch was turned to "off" he was fine.
 We had plenty of space for him to learn to ride, to do turn arounds; the whole nine yards.
I have two kids in particular that can defeat themselves (in their head) in seconds and go crazy but the universe is right when their mindset it right.  There's a life lesson!


Titus really did do such a great job...and I'm guessing that the traditional learning how to ride a two wheeler reward of ice cream helped clear up any attitude deficiency he had!

1 comment:

sigraber said...

If I learn to swim, what will you buy me??? :) And, ice-cream won't cut it. :)